African Ghana necklace or waist beads, vintage sandcast glass trade bead necklace, 39" long, blue edging red green brown blue dots on white. Over 100 beads make up this necklace
Being handmade, beads will not be uniform and may have small chips or imperfections.
These beads were obtained at an auction over 10 years ago and had been a part of the inventory of a western supply store in the mountains that had been close for 20 years prior. Most of the inventory had been sitting for years. The 1970s is a conservative estimate and they could well be much older.
Traditional glass beads of Ghana are often referred to as Krobo beads, the Krobo mountains being the main area of production. These 'recycled glass' beads were handcrafted in Ghana, Africa by pulverizing old, discarded glass (bottles, windshields, etc), adding colorant and then pouring the powder into crude clay molds. The stem of a local plant is added, this burns away during firing, leaving a hole for stringing. The beads are fired in a primitive, wood-burning earthen oven. Many beads are hand painted with traditional designs and then strung on raffia. The process of making these beads is unique to Africa and has been used for over 1000 years. The Ghanaians have been making beads in this manner since the 1600s. Beads such as these are often worn as traditional waist beads.
► To see more necklaces click this link: http://etsy.me/IAlokT
► To see more Ghana items click this link: https://etsy.me/374lROh
► To see more supplies click this link: http://etsy.me/1omEmGg
► To see more beads click this link: http://etsy.me/2nU7lSp
1. All jewelry items come in an organza or velvet bag and, when able, a gift box.
2. Like my Facebook page to get a 15% off coupon in the about section: http://on.fb.me/16M4TA5
3. Now with free shipping in the United States. If you are out of the country and your package is small enough to lower shipping, I will refund any difference over $1.00, after insurance.
4. All measurements are approximate.
5. If you want to save this item for later or make a ‘wish’ list to share with others, click on the ‘favorites’ link next to the ‘add to cart’ link.
6. For questions click on the contact link under shop owner info on the right.
7. To visit my shop click here http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiescornerstore
8. Gift-wrapping and drop shipping available. Contact owner.
9. For information about our policies go to http://etsy.me/112id32
mom, mother, dad, father, present, gift, vintage jewelry, birthday, Ghana
Payment is expected at time of purchase. We accept Paypal and Etsy direct payment.
If you are out of country and your package is small enough to lower shipping, I will refund any difference over $1.00, after insurance. I generally ship USPS first class unless there is a request for different. I am willing to work with the customer. Insurance in the states is available for an extra charge. I ship within 1 to 2 business days. International buyers are responsible for any Custom fees.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 6 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
All refunds of items not as advertised (not sterling silver etc) are guaranteed within 14 days of purchase. The shop must be contacted about the return.
These are vintage items and as such should not be expected to be in brand new condition. Any refunds other than not as advertised, within 14 days, will be subject to a 25% restocking fee and return shipping will be the buyer's responsibility. Returned items must not have been worn, worked on or altered.
Contact 412-601-0291 with questions